28th August

Well, my yesterday's diary went missing as I expected, before I finished writing it. The "notes" on my iPad (where I'm writing these) automatically upload to my mail server whenever I'm connected to the internet, then delete themselves. Very annoying.

Essentially, Derek arrived at the airport, and while I waited for him to pick up the car, I walked round the airport carpark. That bagged me a few lifers, which was awesome!

Blue-faced Honeyeater at Darwin International Airport - No, not a lifer!
 Figbird at Darwin International Airport - Again, no, not a lifer!
 Rufous-banded Honeyeater at Darwin International Airport -this one IS a lifer
 White-gaped Honeyeater at Darwin International Airport
 Red-collared Lorikeet at Darwin International Airport
We arrived at Kylie's house (Derek's sister), and immediately Derek and I took off for a walk around the Palmerston Golf Course in the fading light.
We didn't see much, but we got some interesting stuff, like Radjah Shelduck.

Radjah Shelducks, Palmerston Golf Course

So, today. We got up at 6.30, after a surprisingly good nights sleep, we set off around the golf course, seeing a brief appearance from a White Throated Honeyeater, Spangled Drongos, and to my surprise, a male Mistletoebird. We stayed at the golf course for about an hour, picking me up several lifers and lots of year ticks including White Breasted Woodswallow, Crimson Finch, Chesnut Breasted Mannikin, Green Pygmy Goose, Magpie Goose, Comb Crested Jacana (with babies!!), White Browed Crake (brief but very close views - too fast for pics), Forest Kingfisher and White Bellied Cuckoo Shrike. Plenty of other more familiar but equally enjoyable birds, Figbird, Grey Crowned Babbler and Rainbow Bee Eater among them. As we were leaving, a flock of four Red Winged Parrots (all females) flew over. Tick!

 Little Corella, Palmerston Golf Course
 Mixed waterfowl (and a sneaky feral!), Palmerston Golf Course
 Green Pygmy Goose, Palmerston Golf Course
 Crimson Finch, Palmerston Golf Course
 Comb Crested Jacana with babies!! Palmerston Golf Course
 Chestnut Breasted Mannikins, Palmerston Golf Course

 Golden-headed Cisticola, Palmerston Golf Course
 White-breasted Woodswallow, Palmerston Golf Course

All that done, we packed up after a quick breakfast of weetbix, shared by a couple of inquisitive White Gaped Honeyeaters.

We hit the road, and began our trip for real.  The drive was fairly uneventful. Lots of burnt countryside, low scrubland, that typical brand of tropical northern eucalyptus forest. We were surrounded by termite mounds, some of which Derek estimated would have been 4m tall. 

Black and Whistling Kites were everywhere, although while I dozed off apparently they noticed a wedgetail. 

We had a stop in Pine Creek, which was supposed to be to look for Hooded Parrots, which I'd heard about several times from there. We were very quickly distracted though by a Striated Pardalote as we were eating lunch, and having finished, we walked along a creekbed until we came to a puddle among some eucalyptus that was absolutely teeming with birdlife.
 Blue-winged Kookaburra, Pine Creek
 Olive-backed Oriole, Pine Creek
 White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike, Pine Creek

Earlier that morning I had rung Ashwin Rudder, who I've mentioned on this blog before. I'd normally text him to give him updates, but I couldn't be bothered and I wanted to hear his voice when I told I'd seen the crake. During our conversation, he mentioned he hadn't been far enough inland in his February trip to the region to see Banded and Rufous Throated Honeyeaters. Boom. Both species in the tree in front of me! And I know he went to Kakadu, so he could have seen them where I did. 

World's worst shot of Banded Honeyeater, Pine Creek

Sadly, the Banded HE did not hang around for photos, although the Rufous Throated did. Olive-backed Orioles, Black Faced Woodswallows a female Leaden and some Paperbark Flycatchers were also present. 

In a flash, my eye landed on a solitary Long Tailed Finch. I called out to Derek, but the finch had already disappeared. I could hear some parrots calling, so I went in that direction, but the calls emanated from a patch of trees well into private property - and I'm pretty sure they were red-winged anyway.

Derek headed back to the car, and I took my time following him. Having only had a chance for a terrible shot of the Banded HE (despite great views), I wanted a better go. The Bandeds stayed away, but I did see the single Longtail again, dashing into and then out of the tree above me. Very skittish.

We continued on towards our destination, the Victoria River Roadhouse. We could see the landscape gradually changing, becoming hillier with red rocks beginning to peek through. The Kimberley was beginning to show!

We arrived at the Roadhouse, and after some initial difficulties, Derek and Sue got their camper trailer set up, and I spent half an hour banging away at tent pegs for my swag, eventually giving up after getting them halfway in. It's not windy, so I won't blow away at least.

 Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, on the way to Victoria River Roadhouse
White-faced Heron, under the Victoria River bridge

Shortly after arrival, a man came over to us and introduced himself as Dave, a fellow birder. I went off for a wander with him down to the Victoria River, and we had a good time chatting about various birding sites and species. Apparently he once came across Peter Slater near Alice Springs. He was taking photos of a Western Bowerbird and directed Dave towards some Dusky Grasswrens.

We returned, and Dave and I swapped images (his are fantastic, he uses a 7D and 100-400 just like me, but he's much better with them). We settled down to dinner, and I educated Derek and Sue to the calls of Barking Owls, which were supposed to frequent the roadhouse lights.

After tea, Derek and started a lap of the campground, me looking for night-birds, and he looking for reptiles and frogs. The temperature had cooled from the slightly boiling temperature of about 35 to a pleasant 25 or so, so it was quite comfortable.

We found no reptiles, but while Derek was in the toilet block, I managed to fluke landing the torch-beam on a flying bird - which turned out to be a Barking Owl, a new species for Derek, and a second-time for both me and Dave (who had also been in the toilet block). I messed around with some settings, and the owl sat obligingly. Eventually it flew off, but it made not a single sound, which I found quite surprising. 

After a while back at the trailer, I decided to try for better photos. S I set back off again, detouring past another big light in the hope of Owlet Nightjar or Spotted or Large Tailed Nightjars. None of those, but I did see two semi-nocturnal Blue Winged Kookaburras, which I assume we're hunting for insects in the lights beam.

Getting back to where I saw the owl before, I saw it fly in again. Another flew by, headed towards the kookaburras, but I focused on the one in front of me. I managed a few shots, using the elastic strap of my headlamp to tie my real spotlight torch to my camera lens so I had both hands free to photograph. Amazing birds. Again the birds were silent.

Barking Owl, Victoria River roadhouse

It's now 10.22 and I'm in my swag, and the owls have finally started calling. It's lovely, listening to them. I'd better get to bed, we have an early start tomorrow looking around. Hopefully no dingoes or crocodiles will come near me tonight!!

----------------------------------------
One blog post down, many more to come! It looks as if I'll be taking a break, dear non-existant readers, for a couple of days as my second pelagic of the year is happening! More posts Monday....

Julian